A Research Technician II performs investigative work for research projects, performing experimental procedures and operating specialized and highly technical laboratory equipment. Reports to principal investigator.
• Prepare progress reports including gathering, organizing, and interpreting data and preparing data for presentations and manuscripts.
• Confer with other scientific personnel; attend seminars and technical meetings.
• Initiate and conduct experimental protocols with minimal instruction.
• May train and/or supervise lab aides/techs.
• Preparing laboratory reagents, chemicals, stocks, cultures and cell lines.
• Operating a variety of laboratory instruments such as spectrometers, electrophoresis radiation counters, PCR machines, flow cytometers, measuring instruments and devices.
• Perform chemical, physical, or biological analyses following written protocols.
• Working with mice, including immunization and surgeries.
• Preparing fractionated samples from blood using sterile techniques.
• Maintain lab records, prepare slides and conduct literature searches. Other duties include conducting lab inventory, preparing progress reports, and conducting experimental protocols with minimal instruction.
• Train or supervise Lab Aides.
Requires a BA/BS in a scientific field and a minimum of 2-3 years of progressively responsible work experience in a scientific research laboratory.
Must have strong mathematical, computer, data analysis, and statistical analysis skills. Will also need knowledge of proper operation of complex laboratory instruments and equipment. Must have good verbal and writing skills, and have the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
May require skill in animal surgery techniques. Successful completion and documentation of experiments involving mammalian tissue culture and multiparameter flow cytometry required.