COMBATING AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE THROUGH GENOMICS ANALYSIS
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason (BRI) is an internationally recognized medical research institute committed to finding a cure for autoimmune and immune-mediated diseases, through a combination of basic and translational research programs. This means you can contribute to scientific advances that have a direct impact on people afflicted with these diseases, including type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, allergies and asthma. BRI research leadership has identified Bioinformatics as a key enabling technology, so there is broad and strong support for the analysis, and visualization of research data.
More information on BRI bioinformatics here: https://www.benaroyaresearch.org/our-research/programs/systems-immunology-division/bioinformatics-department.
Come join our team and improve human health.
Autoimmune disease research needs people who understand genomic and other high-dimensional data, how these data sets are acquired and processed, and the application of statistical methods for proper interpretation. We want people who can help build an understanding of the complex operation of the human immune system. This understanding, of how a broken immune system manifests itself as disease, will help us find cures for diseases such as type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
We are looking for a talented person who can collaborate with other investigators to provide biological insight into multidimensional data and help interpret immune dysfunction. The qualified candidate will contribute to all stages of the research process, from experimental design and execution, through quality assessment, and finally analysis and interpretation.
As a member of the Bioinformatics Department, you will work closely with members of our Systems Immunology Division and other investigators at our institute. You will apply current data mining tools and techniques to collect, process, and analyze autoimmune disease profiling experiments. This may include RNAseq, ChIP-Seq, ATAC-Seq, flow and mass cytometry, and other genomic experimental methods. You will present your findings to investigators and research staff, with the opportunity to co-author papers on novel findings. You will also participate in experimental design, statistical power analyses, and analysis plans for publications and grant proposals throughout the institute.
• Knowledge of genomics data and state of the art processing techniques; familiarity with quality assessment and quality control techniques for such data
• Understanding of genomic experimental methods, including strengths and weaknesses
• Experience in statistical data modeling, clustering, data visualization, and biological interpretation
• Experience in the application of statistics or biostatistics to scientific data. For example: analysis of complex multidimensional data such as next generation sequence data (NGS), flow or mass cytometry, translating scientific hypotheses into quantitative experiments
• Regular use of statistical tools, such as R, and literate programming techniques, such as notebooks using Rmarkdown or Jupyter, to interleave analysis and results for presentation.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Specifically, the ability to communicate and explain algorithms, techniques and results to non-statisticians.
• Background in both a statistics-based field (i.e., Biostatistics, Statistical Genetics,etc.) and biological science (Genetics, Biology, or Immunology).
• Regular use of scripting and/or programming languages (e.g. R, Shell, Python, Java, etc.). Familiarity with database systems such as Mongo and/or MySQL will be considered a plus.
• Collaborative development skills using version control systems (e.g. git)
This position will require a Ph.D in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or other life science with a strong understanding of the principals of bioinformatics, proven ability to develop new methodology when needed, and 6 or more years related experience; alternatively an M.S. in the previously listed fields and 9 or more years of experience.