A Research Technician II performs investigative work for research projects, performing experimental procedures and operating specialized and highly technical laboratory equipment. Reports to principal investigator or designee.
• Initiate and conduct experimental protocols with minimal instruction.
• Perform biological and molecular analyses following written protocols.
• Preparing fractionated samples from blood using sterile techniques.
• Operating a variety of laboratory instruments including multicolor flow cytometers and real-time PCR machines.
• Maintain lab records, organize and analyze data, prepare PowerPoint presentations detailing experiments and results, and present data at lab meetings.
• Conduct literature searches and preparing data for manuscripts.
• Confer with other scientific personnel; attend seminars and technical meetings.
• Preparing laboratory reagents, chemicals, stocks, cultures and cell lines.
• May train and/or supervise lab aides/techs.
Requires a BA/BS in a scientific field and a minimum of 2-3 years of progressively responsible work experience in a scientific research laboratory. Knowledge of immunology highly recommended.
Successful completion and documentation of experiments involving mammalian tissue culture and multiparameter flow cytometry required. Experience with quantitative PCR a plus.
Must have strong science, mathematical, computer, data analysis, and statistical analysis skills. Will also need knowledge of proper operation of complex laboratory instruments and equipment. Must have good verbal and writing skills, and have the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.