The Accounts Payable Specialist ensures that invoices are paid on time and are properly supported by appropriate documentation. Responsibilities may also include activity tracking and analysis work using Excel spreadsheets.
Reports to: Senior Accounting Manager
Individual responsibilities may include:
• Matching invoices with supporting purchase orders and packing slips
• Verifying authorized signatures on each purchase order or invoice
• Obtaining authorized signatures on purchase orders and receiving documents as needed
• Reviewing invoices and making corrections as needed prior to posting
• Researching and reconciling vendor statements and past due invoices
• Processing monthly bank card billings
• Processing employee expense reports and travel expense reimbursement requests
• Maintaining files of paid invoices and of pending transactions
• Preparing and processing weekly check runs and special check runs as needed
• Entering purchase orders and invoices in the accounting system
• Maintaining a current detailed reference list of authorized signers for all grants and cost centers
• Serving as a backup for intercompany and patient billings
• Serving as a backup for the Staff Accountant on bank deposits
• Serving as a backup for posting wire transfer payments in the accounting system
Specific Job Skills:
• Thorough knowledge of basic bookkeeping, business procedures and accounts payable required.
Requires strong attention to detail, reconciliation skills, and ability to maintain confidential information. Requires strong computer skills, including 10 key and Microsoft Office with intermediate skills in Excel. Efficiency analyzing data, problem solving, and working well under pressure.
Must be able to provide clear verbal and/or written communications with the ability to provide exceptional customer service; must have strong interpersonal and decision making skills so that problems with vendors or employees can be efficiently resolved. Knowledge of shipping and receiving procedures also helpful.
o Requires a high school education or equivalent and some higher education or vocational training specializing in accounting (or a combination of equivalent education and work experience)
o Requires a minimum of one year of office experience and knowledge of accounts payable, business procedures, and basic bookkeeping
o Knowledge of shipping and receiving procedures also helpful
o Must have strong customer service and interpersonal skills
o Requires proficiency with Excel, Word, e-mail, and use of 10 key