A Research Technician I performs investigative work for research projects, performing experimental procedures and operating specialized and highly technical laboratory equipment. Reports to principal investigator or designee.
• Prepare laboratory reagents, chemicals, stocks, cultures and cell lines.
• Operate a variety of laboratory instruments such as spectrometers, electrophoresis radiation counters, PCR machines, measuring instruments and devices.
• Perform chemical, physical, or biological analyses following written protocols.
• Work with mice, including immunization and surgeries.
• Prepare fractionated samples from blood using sterile techniques.
• Maintain lab records, prepare slides and conduct literature searches. Other duties include conducting lab inventory, preparing progress reports, and conducting experimental protocols with minimal instruction.
• Prepare progress reports including gathering, organizing, and interpreting data and preparing data for presentations and manuscripts.
• Confer with other scientific personnel; attend seminars and technical meetings.
• Initiate and conduct experimental protocols with minimal instruction.
• May train and/or supervise lab aides/techs.
Must have strong mathematical, computer, data analysis, and statistical analysis skills. Must have good verbal and writing skills, and have the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
Requires a BA/BS in a scientific field and work experience in a scientific research laboratory. Experience in virology and/ or molecular biology preferred.