Coordinate the Occupational Health and Safety programs at BRI. Identify, analyze and mitigate physical, chemical and biological hazards. Work to ensure a safe work place and compliance with all regulatory requirements for environmental protection and occupational health and safety.
• As a key member of the Facilities and Safety Team, manage a variety of the Occupational Health and Safety disciplines including; Accident Prevention, Biosafety, Chemical Hygiene and Hazardous Waste Management, Fire and Life Safety, Hazard Recognition and Safety training.
• Develop and deliver health and safety training to employees. Devises and coordinates training programs, which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety awareness.
• Manage, update, & develop all safety manuals and documents required by federal, state, and local agencies.
• Manage the BRI Hazard Communication Program: Maintain and update Hazardous Materials Identification Systems, including chemical labeling program, SDS inventory, and the Hazardous Materials Management Plan to prevent or mitigate accidental exposures or spills, and enable first responders to appropriately assess onsite hazards prior to an emergency response.
o Oversees chemical and biological waste management program
o Oversees the chemical spill response program.
o Coordinates and maintains the chemical inventories.
• Assist with the Institute’s Emergency Management activities in the four core areas: 1) Mitigation, Protection and Prevention; 2) Preparedness and Training; 3) Emergency Response and 4) Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity.
• Coordinate safety inspections and investigations of incidents and injuries, hazard analysis. Recommends changes to create a safer work environment.
• Coordinates fire & life safety programs for the BRI facility. Organizes fire drills and maintains evacuation maps. Maintains the chemical spill and first aid kits. Assist the Radiation Safety Officer with radiological surveys.
• Develop policies and procedures specific to certain hazards that fall outside normal practices, keeping staff protected while performing hazardous procedures.
• Provide initial ergonomic consultations for BRI staff, promoting a healthy work environment for all staff, and reducing incidences of long-term injuries.
• Assist the Facilities Manager with Facilities projects as needed.
A Bachelor’s degree in an Occupational Health & Safety discipline, Science, Engineering or a related field of study is required.
Minimum three years of experience in Occupational Health and Safety disciplines with particular emphasis on chemical and biosafety in laboratories.
Certification in a safety related professional discipline (e.g., ASP, CSP, or CIH) is preferred.
Benaroya Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.